Note: Whenever you see the ‘user’ and ‘Key’ fields, enter your own, not the ones in this tutorial.
The purpose of this tutorial is to demonstrate how to upload a single file to the GuideK12 servers using the WinSCP application. This is necessary for the ability to communicate secure data to GK12. Two applications will be needed and they are both installed with the WinSCP application which should have been supplied to you. If not you can get the latest version here. Follow the download instructions for the application to get it installed on your machine.
The first thing needed is a “Key” file which will be used to connect to the server. The WinSCP application only likes PuTTY Private Key Files (.ppk) files. If the Key file that is to be used is of a different type (for example, a .dsa file) it is fairly easy to convert it to a .ppk file.
Go to Start->All Programs->PuTTY->PuTTYgen to open the PuTTY generator tool
- Under the Conversions tab, select Import Key
- Find your Key file that needs to be converted and double-click on it and the following screen should appear.
- Change the Key Comment box to something that describes what this key is for. Do not give your key a passphrase. Otherwise, we cannot automate. Once these fields are filled in click on the Save Private Key button.
- Give your new key a name and click save. You now have your key in a form that WinSCP can read.
- Open the WinSCP application and hit New on the right hand side to open a new session (if this is the first time WinSCP is used, a new session is started automatically).
- The name of the server you are uploading to goes in the Host Name box. In this instance the Host name is ‘uploads.guidek12.com’. Enter your user name (note in this example the user name is ‘school_a’, however you should enter your own). Your key from the first step goes in the Private key file box. It is helpful to save this login information if it is going to repeatedly be used. After it is saved, click Login.
- If you encoded your key with a password, you will be prompted to enter it. The following screen should then appear
- Navigate to the directory that contains the file you wish to upload.
- Drag the file from the left column into the right column and select Copy in the window that opens
- Your file is now uploaded to the server.